Friday 24 October 2014

My Teaching Partner

When I first started teaching Kindergarten, I thought I would have a hard time working with another educator. I am a very controlling person and I think I could be a very difficult person to work with sometimes! I like things done my way and I am incredibly passionate about teaching and learning. I was worried about having expectations that were too high, but also about having someone who didn't want to do what I wanted. However, I was also excited about working with someone who had different training than I and had different ideas to share with me. 

Well, this year I have met my match. I am lucky enough to be working with someone who is just as passionate as I am. She is a hard-worker, dedicated, and extremely knowledgeable. She has an incredible amount of ideas and is always willing to share.

When we met, first through email, then in person, we hit it off immediately. We were on the same page about how we would like the classroom to look, our ideas about invitations to learn, and kindergarten in general.  We set to work cleaning our classroom out and deciding what we want to have in the room. Then the year started.  Ideas and plans are one thing on paper and another thing in person!  I know this sounds like it is going to be the part where I say we really don't get along, but it isn't. However, it also isn't the part where I say everything is hunky dory and we are just the perfect pair with no issues at all!

My dreams of an amazing teaching partner, who is passionate, caring, hard-working, and full of ideas came true. My fears of having an amazing teaching partner who is passionate, caring, hard-working, and full of ideas also came true. I know this is somewhat contradictory. And it is in my mind as well. T. and I really do get along well. 99% of the time, we are on the same page (I think anyways), but there is still that 1%. We have had our heated discussions. We have had debates about what we both think is the right way and the wrong way to do things. But, we have never "gone to bed angry"! We sit down. We hash it out. I cry. We get upset. But, we talk. We figure things out. We learn from it.

Yes, I am still a teacher who believes she knows a lot. Yes, I am still controlling. Yes, I am still passionate. But, I have an amazing teaching partner who challenges me, offers me fantastic ideas, and is willing to either take the lead, work together, or sit back while I take the lead. We are both passionate. But our students are benefiting from our ability to work together.

My advice to other kindergarten teams is this: always take time to talk. When things are tense, work it out. Be honest. Learn from your discussions. Do not be afraid to speak your mind, but do it nicely. Don't leave everything until it finally boils over.  And, first and foremost, learn from each other.  You are setting an example. Great relationships are created through the fun, positive times, but also the
conflict, resolutions, and reflections. T. and I know that there are going to be many more "discussions" amongst us. But I know that it is due to us being passionate. And I appreciate it greatly.

No comments:

Post a Comment