Monday 9 June 2014

Outdoor play

I have always had a hard time as a teacher letting the kids "just play". However, at a recent workshop I attended,the guest speaker talked about some amazing things that can come out of "just playing". So, I decided to give it a try today. Normally, our play involves the children planning out what they want to do, going to different areas of the class, me coming around and asking them questions that require them to think deeper. Today, fifth period, we went outside to "just play". Of course, I had different intentions. 

What an interesting time we had. We went outside, met under the shade tree and discussed the rules. "You must stay on the climber, in the sandbox, or under the shade tree. That is it." As they left to "just play" I sat on the bench and watched. The only toys they had were the climber and a skipping rope (brought out without my knowledge). Wow, were my eyes opened. Here are some of my observations:

1. Kids don't need a bunch of store bought toys. In the sandbox, the children used sticks for digging, piled sand, and rocks and ended up creating a castle. 
2. When left without adult intrusion, kids plan their play, organize themselves, solve problems, and regulate themselves.
3. Kids can follow rules when they know there are consequences. I told them they were only allowed in those three areas or I would have them sit out of play. They all stayed in those areas no questions asked, even when another class came out and got a bunch of toys out.
4. Children are imaginative and curious. 
5. Children know how to share and love to share with each other. 
6. When we looked around, EVERY single child was engaged in an activity. Some were playing in groups. Some were alone. Some were playing with partners. It was amazing. They were not arguing. They were not asking us to solve their problems. They were proud of their games and the things they were making. It was inspiring for me.
So, I have now learned a valuable lesson myself. It is ok sometimes to "just play" because when they are "just playing", they are actually planning, organizing, getting along, learning how to be friends, solving problems, and being creative. 


1 comment:

  1. So true Stacey. It is giving ourselves the freedom as teachers to "let go" of our ideas and notions of how learning happens, and then to step back and let the children drive their own learning. Amazing things will happen. Things we couldn't have planned for, or created on our own.

    ReplyDelete