Monday 9 June 2014

Under the Sea

Now that our turtle is gone to a new home, we have a blank spot in our class. After looking through our documentation, we noticed that the children will talk about the ocean and showed a lot of curiosity about the ocean when I showed them pictures of my trips. I decided that maybe I could bring in a movie that I have about under the sea.
I told the children that I was going to put this on our smart board. If they would like to watch it, they should grab their outdoor journals or a clipboard and paper. They can write down things they really like and might be able to create an inquiry station in the class. It was a hit. 
Here is some of their work.

D.T. wrote "I wonder what seals eat?"

 
 
 
A.C. wrote, "It is what I saw in the movie. It was pink. The fish looked like a hippo. It is a big fish."
E.R. decided to make a list of names of the fish that the narrator talked about. She said, "It is tricky sounding out names of fish and watch the movie at the same time."  This is what we figured out from what she wrote. 1. Water snake 2. (not sure) 3. Garden fish 4. (not sure)  pig pish, cargo gar fish
L.M.W. wrote " Some fish look like coral. (We cannot figure out the second line! Oops!) Sting rays shake in sand to hide so they can eat."
 
Today, I brought in some shells and coral and added them to the inquiry station. J.S. And K.M. went straight over there as soon as thinking and learning time started. Ey were admiring the different pieces of sea life. 

K.M. :"Look at this one. It has a pattern."
J.S. :"This one has cool colours!"
Ms. Stacey: "Do you think you could sort them out so that they are easier to look at?"

The two of them got started. 


Ms. Stacey:"How did you sort them?"
J.S.:"These ones are cool ones."
K.M.:"these are big. These are small."
J.S.:"These are like bones."
K.M.:"And Hesse are pointy ones."
Ms. Stacey:"Maybe we should write them down for everyone to know."

I wrote them down on paper for them. Then they decided that maybe it should be in their own printing so they copied them over.

J.S. Is also very curious if our picture on the wall is a painting or a drawing.










No comments:

Post a Comment