Wednesday 7 May 2014

Authentic writing

We are constantly trying to create authentic writing tasks for the children so that they can see writing as a part of life and that it can be fun. This is the perfect example of authentic writing! 

T.G. was playing with some play doh. He was making a play doh snowman. I was trying to think of a way to bring some writing into the activity. I drew some lines on a paper, creating six boxes and handed it to him.

Ms. Stacey:  "T.G., I made some boxes on this paper for you. Do you think you could draw some pictures and tell us about how you made your snowman? Then, maybe others will want to follow your instructions to make their own sometime."

T.G.: "Sure. I can do that."

Ms. Stacey: "So, what did you do first?"

T.G.: "I rolled the balls. I'll write that down."

T.G. continued to work throughout the thinking and learning time on his snowman and instructions. I think he did an amazing job!


In the end, this is what he came up with. I asked him to share with the rest of the class because I think this is a personal best for T.G.!  And one of the best parts is that it wasn't "work" for him.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment